Thursday 27 December 2012

Wine for Christmas

Christmas time is always a time for indulgence. This year we are at home and don't feel the need to conform. So after morning mass, we get home light a fire, put the oven on and pop some bubbly.
The quaffing bubbly favourite at the moment is the cheap, but palatable, Sainsbury's Cava. It comes from Spain, from the Sant Sadurni region above Barcelona. It has similar qualities to an independent Champagne house, with biscuity aromas and apple flavours. Perfect to sip, while watching the children rip the paper from around China's finest plastic.


Next up, was a white wine, I served it with Tiger Prawns and sauce. I got one of the children to mix  the sauce, while I cooked off  the prawns. The white was a Burgundy I had picked up from Majestic. The Bourgogne Blanc is made with Chardonnay grapes. It was buttery, crisp and fruity, going perfectly with the seafood.



The main course dish was my favourite and so I put my favourite wine with it. The Beef Wellington was accompanied by a bottle of Chateau Musar 1998.

I have only a few bottles left from this vintage, which is a shame because it is drinking perfectly. The pink fillet flavours were harmoniously married with the plums, exotic spice, tar and cherry wood of the wine.

Happy Christmas.

No comments: