Thursday 2 August 2012

English Fizz

At the end of July, just as we were getting packed up to go on holiday to Scotland for a fortnight, I inappropriately threw a dinner party. I had already invited two couples, before I plucked up the courage to tell my wife. Heated words and a few cold shoulders later, we found ourselves hosting six friends, the majority of whom came from America.

One of the guests has been a friend of mine for the last eighteen years, it seems that neither one can shake the other. He has a penchant for Chicken dishes, which my wife indulges.
This left me with a dilemma as what to serve in the way of drink, that also went with onion tart.
I reached for a case of Chapel Down, a bubbly from Kent that has come out on top when tasted against Champagne.
Chapel Down is made up of a different grape blend than Champagne. The wine has a gentle Elderflower taste running through and comes across as being a bit more flinty too, however it did the job and a case soon went.

The evening went very well, my only criticism was that I should have had a dessert wine with pudding. Hopefully the vintage Port made up for this, we even got off to Scotland on time.

No comments: