Saturday 16 March 2013

Wine from the supermarket, this week Sainsbury's

A blog follower pointed out this wine to me, in his local Sainsbury's. So in my quest for the perfect glass, I made a bee-line to the aisle with wine.

Rioja seems to crop up, more than it's fair share, on these pages. I have to say I was not a fan two years ago, but had a road to Damascus experience, when I tried several reassuringly expensive and well crafted bottles.

Since then, I have been pleasantly surprised with the wines from this region. Today's offering is no different and at half it's regular price, looks like a bargain.

The wine has good colour, ruby red, nearly to the edge of the glass.
Still a touch young, I get an initial smell of wood glue and under- ripe berries. This is short lived and over taken by a toasty oak flavour. The initial taste is a touch tart, with sharp fruits, settling down to strawberries and balsamic vinegar.

A great Spanish wine from Sainsbury's, that will improve with age, if laid down for a few years.

No comments: