Sunday 7 April 2013

Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, 2012

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 75clOyster Bay, has been dubbed the poor man's "Cloudy Bay". I think this a little unfair. Pound for pound, Oyster Bay offers better value for the price.

I once had an interview, for a job in a hotel, in the New Forest. The Sommelier was overjoyed to show me a palette full of cases of Cloudy Bay, in the hotel cellar. I think he was saddened by my lack of enthusiasm.
I had heard stories of signs announcing the new vintage, out in New Zealand, with just the words " its here". This is followed by the disappointing sign of "its gone".

Does a wine merit this adoration? There are wines and vintages that I get excited about. Cloudy Bay is just not on this list. The vintages just don't have the diversity and variation that Bordeaux reds can offer.

Step in Oyster Bay, a humble Sauvignon from Marlborough, New Zealand. It can always be found and normally costs less than £10.

A pale wine, with a green tinge, the wine is best drunk young. There is always a certain elegance to the wine. The nose is one of cut grass, lime zest and green herbs.
The taste has gooseberries, hints of lime and the odd touch of lemon-grass. The wine has this cool mineral-ly quality to it.

So read the sign for Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, that says "its here to stay".

No comments: