Saturday 13 April 2013

Supermarket wines,this week Budgens

So, I had the kids yesterday, while my wife worked. I wanted them to help me wash the car, or rather I wanted to wash the car and needed them supervised.
Easter holidays are great fun, but once the chocolate has gone and the bickering starts, you find yourself on a slippery slope.

I thought it would be a change from the naughty step, if I took them into a Cotswold town.
I could run some errands and they could stop firing cap-guns at each other, it sounded a plan?
Also, I owed them an Easter egg each, which I had failed to buy in time.

This was my real reason for ending up in Budgens. Easter eggs securely in the basket, I had a wonder into the wine section, which looked full and varied.
I picked out a Chenin Blanc from South Africa, it was reduced by £3.00 and it looked good.

It is Fair-trade and the name "Liberty", comes from the aspiration to give the workers a quality of life.
A premium is added to the price of the grapes. This extra fee goes to providing funds for education and welfare projects.

The wine is from the Western Cape, it is fairly clear ,with a transparent rim. The nose is a complex one of green apples, tropical fruit and hay bails.
The tropical fruits, turns to pineapple and grapefruit, with the later giving a sharp edge to the wine.

The wine does not have a long after-taste, but this could be made up for by the chocolate eggs I bought with it?

No comments: