Wednesday 23 August 2023

Apostolising with Peregrino

 Now on the penultimate day, I am walking between Arzúa and O Pedrouzo. I meet up with Carlos, who was at dinner last night, in a family run restaurant, in Arzúa.

Carlos has a holistic approach to his beliefs, especially that everything is connected to everything else.


This is in stark contrast to the my walking companion from yesterday, Bernard, a Catholic Seminarian from Brussels.

However, there were plenty of ideas all three of us shared, and I would like to share with you. 

Firstly, when faced with a mountain to climb, it is important to look back, to see how far you have come. On the Camino, I reflect that taking crossing the Pyrenees as a bench mark, then you can achieve anything. Suddenly the mountain does not look so big, and the kilometres will fall away. 

Secondly, when carrying your pack so far, it tends to focus you on what you need and what is frivolous. The less you have, the lighter the load. Carlos expanded this idea to our heart, and the pain we carry. He promotes self-healing, and clearly has an ability to teach this. Reflecting on getting rid of what you don’t need, I look forward to attacking my wardrobe, as I have treated my pack.

Carlos watching the kilometres decrease 

The next point was universal in it’s agreement, that you can’t change people, you can only change yourself. There are relationships on every level, in my life, that I need to improve. Love will resonate, and things will get better in time. Control your actions and don’t reflect others people’s anger by becoming angry yourself. Remember that family is paramount, work is in second place.

Finally, a number of Perigrinos have commented, that nobody lies on the Camino, there is no reason to. You walk, you share your life, you listen and talk. Why waste that precious time and energy on something not true?

It was refreshing how honest Bernard was, when he wanted to pray rather than talk. 

In truth, I write these things down, so I don’t forget the lessons I have learnt, and to remember the people who made my Camino so incredible.


No comments: