Sunday 20 August 2023

Stones

A month ago, I began my journey in Saint Jean Pied de Port, crossing the Pyrenees. The night before we started, while walking around the old town, we came across an impromptu concert being given on the cobbles. Sitting on the stones, at the beginning of the Camino, listening to the music play, was fantastic. Sadly I could not upload the whole video.



Stones have then continued to mark the path. You will find huge arrows made from smaller stoned, pointing you on. They make up the very fabric of the path, they form bridges to cross rivers, like today into Portomarin. Castles, churches and Cathedrals. 


Let us not forget the stones in my pack, that I carried to the Iron Cross, that came with such emotion, when laying them down. But also the stones becoming a permanent connection with the Camino and my family.

Pilgrims pile stones on markers, showing you are on the right path. Apostolising, as is my want, this can be verification that you are on a correct spiritual journey, as well as clarifying you are on the right path to Santiago.  Today I crossed the marker, telling me I have 100km to go. Sonya Camino, my ace advisor, warned that the path from here on in would become busy, filled with pilgrims just doing the final 100km.




Stones are in abundance on the Camino and yet powerfully symbolic, just like the scallop shell for Saint James. 

Tentatively talking of seafood, Erik, Orsi, Konstantin and I shared an Octopus and an excellent white wine from Sarria. 

The wine was rich, with marzipan and honey notes. It went perfectly with the Octopus, and the Calamari and Hake that followed.



No comments: