Thursday 24 August 2023

Santiago de Compostela

Reaching Santiago, I wanted a number of things. I wanted closure on a walk, I wanted the certification that validates what I have done and I wanted the whole Cathedral experience. What I got was lost; physically and mentally. 


It took me a while, and tourists information, to find the Peligrino Offices. The man I saw was gentle and impressed I had come all that way, on my first Camino. With certificate done, I knew that Mass at noon gave me plenty of time to explore the Cathedral. 


It was on this tour, that I saw a priest sitting alone, offering confession in English and German. It was here that I had been adrift mentally. Giving my confession, I broke down and cried. He asked about my Camino, and I told him what a journey it had been. While saying my penance, I prayed for all the people I said I would. It was very emotional. 

I found a seat at the front, for Mass. There were twelve priests giving communion, and it was a beautiful service.

Suddenly eight men appeared in burgundy coloured capes, adorned with the shell of Saint James. They took up the ropes to the thurible, filled it with lit incense and then proceeded to swing it, almost touching the roof. 


Just the perfect moment to be found, and now hang up my scallop shell.

No comments: