Tuesday 15 August 2023

The Iron Cross

 Before I started out on the Camino, I was fortunate to spend time with Sonya “Camino” (nobody uses surnames on the trail). She has reached Santiago recently, and so generously shared her story of her walk on the trail with me. 

In sharing her story, she had lots of tips: products to take to deal with blisters, head-torch, for early morning walks etc.

Sonya’s energy, happiness and inner tranquility, that she had reached on the Camino, was infectious and almost tangible. I was envious of her calm and smile, and can only hope I find the same peace.

Sonya also made me aware that I must carry a stone, taken from my garden, and carry it with me. I would know what to do, when it came to it. Researching the stone, I found this.

It is firstly a permanent symbolic link with your home and the Camino. A physical presence linking the two locations, that can never be broken.

The stone also represents something in the Peregrino’s heart, that they want to leave behind. This could be : unpacking grudges or resentment’s in a relationship, dealing with bereavement or seeking closure on something. 

Early pilgrims saw it as a way of expunging sin. Leaving the stone, signified leaving the sin behind. As a Catholic, I don’t believe this gives absolution in the same way confession does. On the plus, it does show commitment to not want to sin again. 

The stone, therefore connects your home with the trail, but also stands for something you want to leave behind.

When I left, I took two stones. One from the top of Snowdon, for my nephew Angus. The other from my garden. I asked my family to give me a stone, for their “something to leave behind”. They were gentle and gave me small stones to carry.

When my eldest son left me in Burgos, he passed on the stone he had been carrying along his trail. 


Today, after a brisk 2km, whilst the sun came up, the Iron Cross could be glimpsed through the pine trees. My first thought was how humble it was.

As I drew near, I realised it was not the humble one. There was a respectful silence, as people deposited the stones, they had been carrying since France.


I placed my seven on a flat rock near the top. My children had asked for a photo, which I sent on the family WhatsApp.  My text said “ Whatever you asked me to leave on the mountain, it has been left on the mountain. X”.

Making way for others, I was happy to slip away and move on. As I turned around the sun had lit up the cross, so I took  this photo, the carried on my journey singing.

Here comes the sun, doo-doo-doo-doo

Here comes the sun, and I say
It's alright

No comments: