Thursday 17 August 2023

Bodegas’ wine tasting in a bar

 Walking to Villafranca del Bierzo, much of the journey was passing through vineyards, interspersed with serious looking buildings, advertising their Bodegas. Sadly all of the buildings were either shut for siesta or not open to the public. 








When Rex was travelling in our party, he was desperate for a bodegas to be open, and me to do my magic. Today was not the day, so instead I took photos of the names, in the hope that a bar may have their wines in stock. 

Having checked in, showered and changed, I headed out, into town for these wines. Sitting at the bar, I spied the first bottle. A red from the Finca bodegas. It was a Finca Cuesta, and was stunning from top to tail. A nose of rich leather, cherry compote and black pepper. It was gorgeous, so asking the barman for a pen, I made notes on a napkin. 

Questioning what I was doing, I explained about the blog and said this wine is incredible, so I will write about it. This is where the magic happened, as he said the guy next to you owns the Bodegas.  We started to discuss his wine, agreeing the taste was stewed cherry, roast beef. It had a smooth finish for such a young wine. He got another bottle, his white this time the Finca white, 2022. It has massive fino sherry qualities, which was not for me.


Next I spied a red the Luna Beberide (white) and Luna Befride (red). The barman said, the guy sitting two seats away, he owns these. The evening just got better and better. His white was lime juice and vanilla on the nose, lemon drops and vanilla on the taste. Slight oak on the finish.

His red had a dairy farm smell, tasting of cherry candy, rare roast beef and red currents. Such a smooth finish for a wine so young. We tried many more wines, not listed here, but this area produces corkers. Magic. To finish the evening, I stripped off to my pants and took a dip in their river (lido) thing.






No comments: