Monday 7 August 2023

Celebrations in Castrojeriz



 Castrojeriz is a remarkable town. It stands out, according to my guide book, as the only town on the Camino that was not founded by King or Church. It sits on the side of a hill, with a complex road system and a semi ruined castle on top. 



Checking into my hotel, I was told by a cleaner, that I must find a man called Oscar, in a bar down the road. Stepping into the bar, there were two gents drinking beer. I asked for Oscar and they began stamping their feet. A portly man appeared minutes later, from the cellar. He took me back to the hotel, and checked me in. He was keen to show me their library, which I could borrow books! 




He then showed me outside to another building, and said that was were I could eat. Clearly all three were run as a going concern. In the restaurant that night, Oscar was there, what a surprise.


 



We celebrated my birthday with a lovely meal and a classy red from the Ribera del Duero region. Liuva is a slightly aged local wine, made from Tempranillo grapes grown on 20 year old vines. It is finished for 12 months in new American oak barrels. Garnet cherry in colour, the nose is black fruits, spice and earthy leather. The taste is dark fruits, cherries and both provide a velvety finish. After the main, the waitress brought me a cheesecake with a candle, while the restaurant sang happy birthday in Spanish.


Mike, Estel and I celebrating my birthday.

Castrojeriz was also celebrating, with the townsfolk wearing yellow t-shirts, coming together to give thanks that their town is part of the Camino. This is where the Spanish have got it so right. Welcoming pilgrims and tourists, who bring money into their town, at very regular intervals. 

Buen Camino Pelegrino. 



No comments: